BCPL Staff Out and About

Originally begun when Baltimore County Public Library staff toured libraries in Singapore & Hong Kong in February 2006 with the Urban Libraries Council. Now expanded to include any conference or workshop for which a staffer wants to blog the experience.

2/20/2006

Craving American Food!

Both Carl & I couldn't stand the thought of another noodle or Asian sauce with mysterious things in it Monday night so we went to the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner. (Poor Mollie seems to have developed a nasty chest cold so she just went to bed after our visits. We told her not to eat the octopus!) Carl & I had loaded nachos and potato skins (heaven!) and I had a salad.

Everywhere we go, there seems to be a bakery shop selling gorgeous cakes, especially cheesecakes--all kinds. Despite the plethora of goodies, neither Carl or I have had any. Our stomaches have been so traumatized by some of the food that we've tried that we haven't even been tempted yet.

There's a very strong national focus here on everyone's social responsibility to the entire community, including businesses. There are all kinds of campaigns to improve yourself and your community and the library supports these national initiatives, in many cases using contests. One contest was for a stop violence poster. Another contest is for the most interesting question posed to library staff and the grand prize winners get iPods donated by local business--there's a lot of corporate support of the library.

It's a little odd being the only one in the group without manager or director in my title, but everyone's been very nice. Our group is smaller than planned. The four people from Brooklyn Public weren't able to come, and Charles Brown got sick at the last moment. Mollie and Carl keep teasing me that we should rename the blog "Rose's Great Out-of-the-Box Adventure" or something like that and that I should sign myself as the "Singapore Blogger."

Mollie got to sit next to Dr. Beh of the National Library Board at the banquet Sunday evening. He had been to Baltimore in the '90s when their group visited and had many fond memories of his visit.

Carl & I both hired tailors to make some clothes for us. He picked up his four shirts last night; I'm supposed to pick up my suit & skirt tonight. We both get a kick out of talking about "my" tailor. Daalings, I went to my tailor last night for my final fitting (this said lounging in my hotel robe).

Today we're going to visit the National Library, especially their tech services department. The have centralized collection development although they are considering changing that model to one that allows branches more choice in the process. I'll give you details tonight.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mom!

We miss you! Dad's been complaining that you only send him 5 line emails. I told him to be quiet, cause you were busy letting everyone at church and work and all know what was going on in Singapore! I've got lots to tell you when you get home! I love the pictures- did you take them with the camera? How's it working out for you? I'm so jealous that you got to eat spring rolls- did you like them?!?!

Miss you lots!
Stephanie

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya Rose! You must give us a fashion show when you get back! Don't exploit the workers too much.... Also, what is the dealio with the toilet? How do women manage? Lordy.

Jill

4:26 PM  
Blogger Rose Frase said...

The bathrooms aren't all like the one pictured. In fact, that's the only one of those that I've seen; many of the public ones are automatic flushing though.

2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home